Is life feeling a bit monotonous? mundane? lacking sparkle? Have you thought about adding a little ritual to your life.
Rituals are little ceremonies that take the mundane nature out of routine tasks and bring us joy and appreciation of life, reminding us to be in the moment. Any daily task can become a ritual. When we become aware of what we are doing and how we are feeling rather than just going through the motions we become more connected with our lives.
Everyones rituals are different, but if you’re not sure where to begin here are my 5 favourites to get you started on the path to living a life of ritual not routine.
Remember to be mindful of what you are doing, be in the moment and appreciate it and soon you will feel like you are living a positive full life.
1. My Ease into the Morning ritual is one I love as I’m not exactly what you’d call a morning person, always getting out of bed at the last minute and doing only what is necessary before heading off to work. I have recently redefined what is ‘necessary’ and make sure I am not rushing in the mornings.
After crawling out of bed the first thing I do is feed my gorgeous (but demanding!) cats, while they are eating I do a few stretches and choose my essential oils for an aromatherapy inhalation (see below) and take a moment to be grateful for the day. Then I jump in the shower, wash & dry my hair, put on a little makeup…I try to be in the moment, fully concentrating on what I’m doing, rather than being on autopilot. Next is breakfast and my morning coffee which is one thing I love about mornings. I sit outside on the deck or at the dining table and enjoy every mouthful. I also make a point of checking my email and facebook as I love to post a morning greeting or inspiration on my pages and see what others are up to ~ it connects me to the outside world before I head out into it!
2. My Focus at Work ritual is just that….I focus on each task with passion and enjoyment. When I am blending oils and making products I do it with loving intention. With my clients I am completely in the moment. I give them my full attention, focusing solely on them, no distractions whatsoever. This ritual comes naturally to me…along with my passion and love of my job.
3. My Walking ritual includes deep breathing, awareness of each step I take as well as my surroundings and how my body is feeling on the day. Try doing this next time you are walking down the street or exercising, it’s amazing how connected and alive you feel!
4. My Aromatherapy inhalation ritual can be done at any time of the day. I love adding this to my morning ritual. Choose an essential oil. Sit in a quiet comfortable place. Put a drop of essential oil into each palm of your hands, rub together, close your eyes and breathe deeply, inhaling the aroma from your hands, exhale letting go of any stress and clearing your mind. Repeat, repeat, repeat…
5. My Evening Wind Down ritual usually consists of putting some relaxing essential oils in my oil burner in the bedroom about an hour or so before bedtime. When I go to bed I love taking a few deep breathes to inhale the aroma ~ a great wind down reminder! I choose this quiet time to read as I find it relaxes my mind and allows me to switch off from the days activities. When I turn out the light I do my body relax ritual ~ I start at my toes and work my way up. I concentrate on each area becoming aware of how it feels and then let go of any tension. By the time I get to my face and head I’m feeling calm, comfortable and ready for sleep.
Another great wind down ritual is a warm bath ~ a soak in the tub with your favourite essential oils is a great way to relax.
I have only recently introduced some of these rituals into my life. I love and appreciate the importance of them all. I’d love to hear your daily rituals…please share by leaving a comment.