I live in Tropical North Queensland where summer is hot and humid and sometimes you feel like you can never cool down…of course I always reach for my essential oils to help remedy the situation. Citrus, florals and mints are all great options. Here’s some of my favourites to keep you cool and calm when you’re feeling hot and bothered…
- Eucalyptus ~ cleansing, refreshing and stimulating. It assists the immune system and helps respiratory conditions.
- Geranium ~ balancing for mind, body and soul. It is a great pick-me-up and excellent for stress, anxiety and depression.
- Grapefruit ~ a great reviver!, it is cleansing, uplifting and detoxifying. Also great for water retention and excellent for nervous exhaustion.
- Lavender ~ is calming for both body and mind. It blends beautifully with some of the more uplifting essential oils to refresh and bring the body and mind into balance. Also great for sunburn and insect bites.
- Lemon ~ sunshine in a bottle! It is refreshing and cooling, cleansing and strengthening. It promotes optimism, is an immune stimulant and great for the clearing the mind and making decisions.
- Lime ~ increases energy and vitality, improves clarity of thought and fights fatigue. It reduces apathy and that feeling of heaviness while enhancing fun, laughter and good times.
- Neroli ~ stabilising, regenerative, refreshing, ant-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, enhances relaxation and helps in times of nervous exhaustion.
- Peppermint ~ is cooling, refreshing and cleansing. It clears the mind, aids digestion and also relieves headaches, nausea and sinus congestion. Also excellent for cooling itchy mosquito bites.
- Roman chamomile ~ cooling, calming and anti-inflammatory. It sedates the mind and reduces worry. It also protects and nourishes the soul, soothing tension, reducing impatience and over-sensitivity.
- Rose ~ hydrating, toning, refreshing, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory. It is comforting and soothing in times of emotional stress, it promotes self-esteem, love & happiness.
- Spearmint ~ aromatically softer than peppermint but has the same properties. It is very cooling, refreshing and uplifting for the fatigued mind. A lovely alternative to peppermint for children or anyone who finds peppermint too overpowering.
- YlangYlang ~ sedating and balancing it enhances joy, serenity, relaxation & self-confidence. It also helps to lower blood pressure, calm the nervous system, and reduce depression.
All of these 100% pure essential oils can be used alone or in a blend. I love these Summertime Chill Out blends:
- Eucalyptus and Lemon
- Lavender and Peppermint
- Lemon, Lime and Grapefruit
- Neroli, Lavender and Geranium
- Rose and Cypress
- Rose, Roman chamomile & Lime
- Spearmint and Lime
- Ylang Ylang and Peppermint
…and the list goes on, you can experiment with your own!
A great way to keep cool with aromatherapy is to make a Face and Body Mist with either purified water or a floral hydrosol. Another way is using aloe vera ~ it’s a fantastic cooling base ~ to make a face and body gel. Just add a 1 – 2.5% dilution of essential oils (1% for face and up to 2.5% for your body) to your hydrosol or aloe vera gel, mix well before use, apply to your face and body and enjoy! Another simple way is to use a single essential oil or a blend in your oil burner to create a cool calm atmosphere in your home or workplace.
For more information contact your local aromatherapist or me.
Until next time, Be Happy and Healthy, Dee.