Most of us have felt anxious at some time in our lives. It is normally associated with an external stressful event or problem and lasts only a short while. However, sometimes these feelings are ongoing and can create a pattern of anxiety after the stressful event is over. It can seem that these anxious feelings are occurring for no reason and can in turn create more anxiety.
Before I go on, I must say that if you suffer from strong feelings of anxiety that are regularly affecting the way you function in your everyday life you should see your GP or natural health practitioner for advice and treatment.
Aromatherapy can help alleviate some of the effects of anxiety including feelings of tension, fear & worry, difficultly concentrating and mood swings. Choosing appropriate essential oils will help to relax, balance and uplift you…choose the ones that you are most attracted to as these will instinctively be the ones that address your current condition. Essential oils can be used as an inhalation from the bottle whenever needed, in an oil burner, in the bath, in a base oil for massage or worn as a perfume oil. Massage is particularly good as it enhances relaxation and improves general well-being.
Some of my favourite anti-anxiety essential oils are:
- Bergamot: its sedative yet uplifting properties make it perfect to fight anxiety. It strengthens and balances the emotions.
- Chamomile (Roman): very calming on an emotional level, without being too grounding. It is the first oil I think of for the over-thinker and constant worrier. It also greatly improves mood.
- Cypress: the instant restorer of calm! Great for an overburdened nervous system. It is strengthening and helps clear confusion sometimes associated with an anxious state.
- Geranium: balance balance balance! It helps bring the nervous system into harmony and lifts the spirits. Wonderful if you are feeling tired and run down from anxiety.
- Jasmine: provides optimism, helps improve self-confidence and reduce the fear associated with anxiety.
- Lime: refreshing and uplifting for the anxious mind. Reduces apathy, provides inspiration and positive energy.
- Neroli: it’s sedative property provides strong relief for anxiety. It offers strength and eases the exhaustion associated with anxiety. It is also very helpful for insomnia arising from anxiety.
Other anti-anxiety essential oils include lavender, patchouli, rose, sandalwood, ylang ylang…or any others that make you feel good!!!
The combinations you can create from these oils are virtually endless, here are some of my favourites:
- Neroli and Cypress
- Geranium, Roman Chamomile and Bergamot
- Cypress and Bergamot
- Jasmine and Lime
- Roman Chamomile, Neroli and Jasmine
I hope this inspires you to turn to aromatherapy next time you’re feeling worried or anxious. If you’d like to share your favourite anxiety-fighting essential oils please do!
Be Happy and Healthy, Dee
Information taken from The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy by Salvatore Battaglia, the Beyond Blue website and experience with my own clients.